- Whip the sour cream until it becomes fluffy then add in the cream cheese, and whip them together.
- Finely chop the red onion (or use a mini chopper).
- Cut the salmon slices into smaller pieces, but remember to leave a big slice for later use when decorating the pie.
- Finely chop the chives. Add all the ingredients to the sour cream and cream cheese mixture and mix it well.
- Place one polar bread at the bottom and spread out ⅓ of the filling on top of the bread, add another bread on top of the filling. Then spread out ⅓ of the filling on top of the bread, add the third polar bread and once again, spread out the rest of the filling and add the last bread on top of the pie.
- At this point, you can wrap it up in cling wrap and store it in a cool place for the next day if you want.
- For the sides: Whip the sour cream and cream cheese until puffy, and spread out evenly onto the sides of the pie.
- For decorating: Peel the cucumber lengthwise with a potato peeler and place them onto a paper towel, so that they're not too wet. First you cover the sides with the cucumber strips. Then, on a cutting board, you braid the cucumber strips into a "lid" and put the “lid” on top of the pie. Cut off any edges that stick out.
- Then you can decorate the pie as you wish.
Recipe for Polar Bread, 8 pieces.
8 pieces at 225 g.
- 4.5 dl. milk, tepid
- 2 dl. water, tepid
- 25 g. yeast
- 1 dl. sunflower oil
- 150 g. oats - blended
- 500 g. wholemeal flour
- 350 g. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix together the milk and water, and dissolve the yeast in it.
- Add in the oil.
- Add in the dry ingredients, you can use a food/dough mixer, and knead until a dough forms. Then just let it knead for another 10 minutes or so at medium speed.
- Let the dough rise in a tepid place for about an hour.
- When the dough has risen, divide the dough into 8 even buns about 225 g. per bun. On a piece of parchment paper, roll out the buns into flat "pancakes", around ½ cm. thick and a diameter of around 20 cm.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 225°C (conventional heating) for about 9-10 min.
- Let the polar bread cool under a dish towel.
- You can freeze the bread, but the bread should be thawed when assembling the bread pie.